Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Running, or: how me and my 17-year old self no longer see eye to eye.

All through high school, I kicked and screamed whenever I had to do sports. And you know what - I still totally support that. Sports classes sucked. I can't throw or catch a ball to save my life. I suck at tennis and badminton because my eyes are too bad to be any good. I like watching gymnastics but my body wasn't exactly made for it. Ew. Bad memories. Horrible time. Ick.

I also loathed running, and I still kind of support that, too, considering it really hurt me - I was slimmer than I am now (I was really bizarrely skinny when I was 17-18) but I was completely out of shape and running for two minutes inevitably had me wheezing and aching.

Of course, last summer, my parents lured me into going running with them, a minute at a time first, then more and more, every few days. I didn't like that, either, until the moment came where I realized I could run about twenty minutes comfortably, and not feel awful. And it actually felt kind of amazing. And it was actually kind of fun. And now I can probably run about 3-4 km without feeling bad, and I'd love to build that up to about 10 km, possibly more.

And this is why me and my 17-year old self currently have issues.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the older you has made peace with running. I started jogging regularly at 21, and found over the years it was the best way to always lose unwanted pounds and keep me roughly the same size. And there is something to be said for that feeling when you getting into the running zone, that's when you feel like you're floating and not exerting any energy at all. That's a cool feeling. My limit over the years has been 5 miles, I was happy with that. I was never a fast runner, so 5 miles worked out to around 50 minutes or so, and I liked that. My big thing now is incline walking on my treadmill. The calorie counter says I burn more calories without the pounding on my joints. I'll try it for awhile and see if I miss my old friend, running. I'm really glad you've made friends with running. Running, sleeping and a healthy diet are truly the keys to staying young!

    ReplyDelete