Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

A Crime-Solving Trio

So, I have a tendency to pick a couple characters from books or tv shows or movies and point out they would make an AWESOME CRIME-SOLVING DUO. I'm not sure why that is, except I read far too much Agatha Christie as an impressionable teenager, and I seem to have taken most of my life lessons from there. I still kind of want to be Miss Emily Trefusis. Anyone remember Emily Trefusis? I'm the only one? Anne Beddingfield, maybe? I wouldn't mind being her, either? No-one? The Sittaford Mystery and The Man in the Brown Suit, guys. And though these two people only appeared in one book each, I remember them fondly and they rank up there with my favourite fictional characters ever.

Anyway, this may be why I refer to people as making good crime-solving duos. Now, however, thanks to my friend Faith who has excellent taste in all things such as movie stars, clothes and food, I have realized I had a fine crime-solving trio on my hands all these years and never realized it!


BARBARA STANWYCK, for the actual solving of the crimes. And also to wield the guns. And smoke the cigarettes in a sufficiently BAMFy fashion. And because she could dress up like anyone and be virtually unrecognizable. And she was Phyllis Dietrichson, which should be adequate qualifications for any job in the world.


NORMA SHEARER, because she has the contacts and the inside scoops and all the power. Also because she could go to all the necessary fancy dinners in style. Does crime-solving involve going to fancy dinners? In 1930s-40s Hollywood, it totally does. Also, this is clearly in an alternate universe where Irving does not die. And just to be mean, because of her lazy eye, you never know where exactly she's looking...


INGRID BERGMAN, who is a worthy addition in a number of ways. Rationally speaking, she understands half a billion languages, looks fifteen and is scarily tall. In more awesome terms, she is there to eat ALL the things and ALL the ice cream sundaes. While solving crimes. Also, she was in an actual Agatha Christie movie, so that uh... counts for something, even if she just played the crazy Swedish nanny.

I feel this must become a silly and completely unnecessary fiction piece.

2 comments:

  1. Best blog post I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, just wait until I document their adventures. This is spring break for a reason. Other people go out and do things. I apparently make up crime-solving old Hollywood trios. Hmmm.

      Delete