Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Paris s'éveille, if not too early...

I spent the past two days in Paris with my mother - we went there by train (which only takes about an hour from Brussels) and spent one night at a hotel, which was nice. Though Paris is very close, it had been over a year since I'd been there, so this trip was a lot of fun.

Our original goal in going there was the Munch exhibition at the Centre Pompidou, although I'm not sure why that was our goal since neither of us actually even knew where Munch was from. We eventually decided on the Czech Republic, but of course he turned out to be Norwegian. To complete the picture of total cluelessness, we also thought they had The Scream, but then they didn't. Anyway, it was an interesting exhibition and I enjoyed it a great deal. We also briefly visited the other special exhibition, which was about dance, but me and dance have a love/hate relationship. On the one hand, it is near the top of my list of things I would love to be good at but am not, and I love to watch it, but on the other hand I only really love to watch it if it's ballet dance or some pretty couple dance (like swing, or charleston, or lindy hop).

We also walked around aplenty, of course, and had some excellent food - and we also visited the Jewish area, the Pletzl, which was rather wonderful. I have always had this latent, crazy obsession with all things Jewish, which is odd since I really didn't grow up around any of it, but I had never seen any of Jewish Paris. Though the streets were in many places commercialized, it was still a really nice area with an old synagogue, nice food and coffee places (Kosher certified, yo) and a lot of really nice Jewish bookstores. I was really pleased, and also spent a lot of money, which is why I should really never visit Jerusalem, though I SEKRITLY want to.

It's not that expensive on a direct flight from Belgium.

This is bad.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed visiting Paris vicariously through your blog post. I miss being able to hop on a train and going somewhere fantastic, something not possible in California. Fresno anyone?

    ReplyDelete